CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 30, 2008

Pioneer Trek

Would I do it again?

Two days ago, I returned from a pioneer trek with the youth in our stake. I was asked to serve as the nurse on the medical team. We walked 26 miles over 3 1/2 days in the blazing, hot sun. (In fact, everyone keeps on asking me where I got my nice tan...I think they are expecting me to say Hawaii, but are disappointed to here it was on pioneer trek!) It was hard, but such a great experience. Our medical team helped with dehydration, tick removal (one of which was in me), LOTS of blisters, and various other needs.

Over the trek, I would walk up and back along side the youth as they pulled their handcarts(making me feel like I walked double the miles)...and just as we would stop for a water break, I would run around and help everyone and we would be on our way again. Honestly, I felt like the Lord answered my prayers and I felt like I had plenty of strength and energy.

I felt the spirit of our pioneer heritage and learned many life-long lessons. I saw the lives of many of the youth change as they had time to be out in nature and come closer to their Heavenly Father.

Would I do it again? Of course...just give me a little time because I sure missed my girls and husband!

9 comments:

Sara said...

Sounds like a great and tiring experience. I am sure you were an uplifting soul to have there.

bevany said...

Hey- I hope you don't mind I keep looking at your blog. I went on pioneer trek when I was in Young Womens and I LOVED it. I would totally do it as a leader, even though I probably wouldn't make it.

Krissi said...

What a neat experience for you and everyone involved!

Bill Tanna Ava Fox said...

i loved my trek experience! how cool that you got to go, i'm excited to hang with you in McCall...we're counting down the days!

Unknown said...

It sounds amazing. But what I really want to see is a picture of you in your pioneer dress!

The Stewart Stuff said...

Gary and Marie passed on your blog address...it is so great catching up with your family! Your Ireland trip looked fantastic! I can't wait to check in often!

-Jen, Jason, Summer, Sydney, and Ty Stewart

The Days said...

How bout a new blog Marianne? :)

NicNac said...

Sounds like one of those experiences which you'll never forget, for more than one reason! Your girls are so big now too...as I look through posts! Please go our our site, I've made some changes lately. Take care! Niki

lramey said...

how fun! i don't know if you remember me, but I saw your name on Meaja's blog and got super excited! It's Lisa Ramey- from the good ol' BYU 146th...your girls are BEAUTIFUL, and you haven't changed on stinkin bit either you beautiful mom you!!!!

anywho- I just wanted to say hi!!